Fight Back Against Charges Of Insurance Fraud
Insurance fraud is the intentional misrepresentation of facts and circumstances to an insurance company to obtain payment. Perpetrators carry out insurance fraud by submitting false or exaggerated insurance claims. If you are charged with federal insurance fraud, you need to protect yourself by contacting an experienced white collar criminal defense attorney.
The Law Office of Ann Fitz represents clients who are facing charges in the Southern District of Florida. Attorney Ann Fitz has more than 15 years of federal court experience. Do not speak to the insurance company or law enforcement without first calling the firm’s West Palm Beach or North Miami office at 561-264-2431.
The Varying Types Of Insurance Fraud
Any person who intentionally misleads or deceives an insurance provider to get additional compensation may face insurance fraud charges. These white collar criminal charges fall into two categories: hard fraud and soft fraud. Hard fraud involves a person creating a staged accident or injury to obtain money. Soft fraud is the act of exaggerating an accident or injury to maximize a claim.
Some examples of insurance fraud include:
- Faked automobile collisions, including reporting a false hit-and-run or a staged accident
- Intentional property and automobile damage, such as deliberate damages, vandalism and inflated damages
- Faked accidents, including fraudulent slip-and-fall and other personal injury claims and fictitious workplace accidents
- Medical billing fraud, which is a form of fraud committed by health care professionals
- Health insurance fraud, including the use of another person’s identity to get benefits
- Life insurance fraud, such as buying fraudulent policies for already dead relatives
Insurance Fraud Is A Serious Crime
A conviction for insurance fraud can result in severe penalties, including mandatory restitution of lost income, loss of professional license and substantial prison sentences. It is critical that you hire an attorney who can fight such complicated charges.